What to do if you lose your passport or identity card

The Swiss passport can be readily removed from a pocket
(Photo: Picture Alliance/Blickwinkel A. Laule)

Your passport/identity card is considered 'lost' if it has been stolen, lost/misplaced or completely destroyed. In order to obtain a new document, you must report its loss to the police in Switzerland or abroad, and present a copy of the police report to the cantonal passport office.

The stolen, lost or destroyed document becomes officially invalid, and its number is registered in a national and international database.

If you lose your identity document while abroad

If you lose your identity document while abroad, report its loss to the nearest police station and ask for written confirmation of this. You can then apply for a replacement document at the next Swiss embassy or consulate. On no account should you use it again if it turns up.

Always have a copy of the personal data page with you when travelling so that if you lose your document, you will still have a record of the document number to give the local police.

Photo of the Swiss Passport
Swiss embassies and consulates

to the top Last modification 19.08.2019